Saturday, August 8, 2009

Kids, Kuts, and Krabi







So we went to the YWAM Thailand national conference in Krabi, Thailand. From the beginning, we knew we as a DTS were going to be in charge of childcare. What we didn't know however was that we were going to have 34 kids (not 19) and be in charge of them for 6 hours a day (not just 3). Needless to say, the beginning of the conference was a rude awakening to how unprepared we were! Oh-so-very stressful and overwhelming. But this story does have a happy ending! We were able to pull it all off with only a few minor hitches in the system.

The first night of the conference we were supposed to dress up in costumes for the welcome dinner, so there's the explanation for the bottom picture. Asen, Kate, and I did 80's babies, mainly because it was so easy to find stuff that worked for that theme...

Then it was time to enjoy the ocean! I was a bit apprehensive about swimming in the ocean, having only done it a couple of times before. My friend Kate said she'd stick with me and keep me safe. *my hero* We were out in the water about to our upper thighs and looked over to see our friend Anna limping up the beach back to the resort. So we turned around and followed her to see what happened. Anna had dove into the ocean, only to find coral directly under the surface which cut into her hands, arms, side, and foot. Also, her finger jammed into some of the coral, which resulted in a slight fracture. Such a downer for beach day! Luckily, she went to the hospital on Thursday and got all fixed up, so she's on the mend. But beach day was a bit of a bust...

I spent the majority of my free time lazing around in our room and napping in the air conditioning. I felt so spoiled! We even had a TUB! My favorite part was showering and NOT sweating immediately following my shower, which is a common occurence in Bangkok. And the food was delicious and the kids were adorable and the scenery was BREATHTAKING so really the trip was much more good than bad.

2 comments:

  1. Karissa you are such a joy to me. getting a glimpse of the "pooh life" is wonderful. have a glorious day...you are glorious. anonymousdad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pooh, you are so precious to me!!! I LOVE your pics! anonymousbean

    ReplyDelete